Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 12:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        lists@perespim.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap size

> Hello all,
>
>     What swap size should i use having 768 Mb of memory?
>     I've heard something about preformance degradation if
>     swap size is bellow 2x of ram...

Traditionally, 2 1/2 X RAM size.  But everyone seems to have their
own prejudice on this.

It depends on the size and number of processes you will run
compared to the amount of RAM you have - paging goes to swap
space - as well as if you need to take a crash dump - crash
dumps need some more than RAM to do completely, etc.

////jerry