Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 10:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ok, I can't be the only one!

Schroeder, Aaron writes:
 > Or maybe I can be the only one not able to install (via ports only, no
 > sources) a lot of packages. Namely, desktop managers and applications, the
 > list is as follows:
 >
 > KDE2
 > Gnome

I"ve made these compile in the past.  You need somebody with coding
skills and time/motivation to fix them for alpha.

The problem is that these things take SO damned long to compile that
getting them working is an all-day background job.  And if you're
compiling them on your desktop, they tend to install in peices and if
things break, you're left with a partly installed mess.   So if (like
me) you already have working versions, you're not terrible inclined to
mess with them.  Hmm..  is KDE3 in ports yet?  I might want to try to
make that work, as I would sure like a better Konqueror....

 > Mozilla

I've NEVER been able to get this to compile.

 > Netscape

This should just work.  I can look into this almost immedately.

 > Galeon (which requires mozilla)

See Mozilla comment :-(

 > Citrix ICA

Never tried it.

 > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
 > <HTML>
 > <HEAD>
 > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
 > <META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">

Please teach your MTA to not spam the mailing list with html'ized
mail.

Drew