Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Mark D. Smith" <msmith@revolution.3-cities.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DAT problems

Greetings

I've just put the Archive Python (now conner, er, Seagate <G>) on my
system.  It's hung off of a Buslogic BT545S (bt0:) and on the same
SCSI bus as a Quantum Lightening 512MB SCSI2 drive and a Toshiba
3401B CDROM.  All 3 devices have correct termination, the HDD is
scsi id 6, cdrom is 0 and the tape is 1 and they're all on a 3 foot
long ribbon cable.

The current problem is that when I try to say "tar cvf /dev/rst0 /cdrom"
,that is, tar the whole CDROM to a tape for a friend that has a DAT
but no CDROM(don't ask me why), it goes for quite awhile then I start
getting errors like kernel: bt0: trying to reset, etc.  Then, /usr,
which is on the SCSI drive, dissapears and if I'm lucky, I start getting
errors reporting BT0: trying to reset and calling debugger.  If I'm
NOT lucky, it just reboots.  Then I have to rebuild /usr.

So, question, is my trying to tar from a cd to a tape causing the hard
drive requests to time out and kill the drive or is my scsi bus going
whacko?

Machine is:
486DX4-100, generic mb clone
32MB ram
Buslogic BT545S
Quantum Lightening 512MB SCSI hdd as /usr
Toshiba 3401B cdrom
Maynard/Archive/conner/Seagate Python 2GB 4mm DAT
Promise 2300+ EIDE card (bios disabled)
2 each Western Digital 31200 HDDS 500MB as /

and some other odds 'n ends.

Thanks in advance

Mark