Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 1995 10:58:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, terry@cs.weber.edu, taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't boot a new 2.0.5A system

>The new install got the wrong geometry even when I had FreeBSD 2.0 on
>the entire disk...  Perhaps there was a problem with the stuff that
>an old fdisk created???  I don't remember if I ever installed with an NCR
>controller before.  (I used to have an Adaptec 1542CF on here...)
>So, maybe my NCR scsi bios is messing things up???
>Are you guys sure that the user setting of the geometry thing (i.e. G in
>the fdisk screen) is working properly??

I've seen some odd things with the NCR bios (or FreeBSD's interpretation
of it) when adding a second disk to a 9504 snap installation (the first
disk was IDE).  It claimed my disk was about twice its actual size (I
wish :-).  It seemed to be using 64 and 32 for heads/sectors, but using
the cylinder value that the disk reported (2700 for an ST31200).  I
don't know if having used the disk with a 1542 previously (on SVR4),
and using its translation is affecting this.

David