Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:47:09 -0600
From:      Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        Crist Clark <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Article in Information Security Magazine

> The author, Pete Loshin, makes is sound as if a *BSD is the natural
> progression from using a Linux flavor. Thinking about it, I do notice
> a lot of people on *BSD mail lists who say they used to use Linux and
> now use a *BSD, but seldom hear the reverse (with the exception of people
> who have to use Linux at work for some reason or another). I wonder
> how much movement there is between the two camps... not that every
> person necessarily has to be a card-carrying Linux- or *BSD-zealot
> and not have some appreciation for a variety of projects/products.

I myself started with "Work Group Solutions" and Slackware Linux
distros, but a consultant was brought in at my company who installed
2.0.5 FreeBSD, threw everything but the kitchen sink on it (on a 486!),
and then left it in my hands. I tossed the WGS and have never looked
back. On our NM users group mailing list (NMLUG@swcp.com) our BSD users
group got folded into the Linux group because the guy who had been
holding the BSD candle discovered he had kids to be responsible for. The
LUG group hardly budged to make room for us, but I note that most
serious users and question answerers now are BSD folk. Some users try to
keep a hand in both camps but they end up suffering because they never
learn enough about either.
--
Don Wilde           http://www.Silver-Lynx.com
Silver Lynx   Embedded Microsystems Architects