Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 05:06:19 -0700
From:      "Rob" <rpd@core.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   top: nlist failed

Dear "questions,"

I have an aggravating problem involving FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE (a problem
that began under 4.0-RELEASE).  Basically, I can't run any of my memory-
related system tools, such as `top', `swapinfo', or `vmstat'.

     $ top
     top: nlist failed
     $ swapinfo
     swapinfo: undefined symbol: _numvnodes
     $ vmstat
     vmstat: undefined symbols:
      _cp_time _kmemstatistics _bucket _zlist

At this point, you are probably thinking that I upgraded my kernel
without the utilities.  But I just upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to
4.1-RELEASE (kernel and system) and the problem is still there.

Originally, under 4.0-RELEASE, everything had been working fine.  Then
one day, all of a sudden, those problems cropped up.  I had rebuilt my
kernel from source, so I thought I might have accidentally pulled
something other than 4.0-RELEASE kernel sources from the cvsup server.
Rather than doing a `make world', I used the `/stand/sysinstall' method
to do a binary upgrade to 4.1-RELEASE, which otherwise works fine.

What's going on here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rob