Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2019 20:46:20 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?= <freebsd-database@pp.dyndns.biz>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   dns/libidn2 2.3.0 breaks gnutls for samba (was: Samba 4.10.10 can't find gnutls headers on one machine)

> On 2019-11-21 16:37, Morgan Wesström wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I need some help to figure out what I broke on my system. I have two
>> (almost) identical machines, one running 12.1-RELEASE and one waiting
>> to be upgraded and is still on 12.0-RELEASE-p10. Configuration and
>> software wise I try to keep them identical.

I found the problem. Samba's config.log had the following error:

err: //usr/local/lib/libidn2.so.0:(.text+0x2290): multiple definition of
`_idn2_punycode_encode@IDN2_0.0.0'
//usr/local/lib/libidn2.so.0:(.text+0x2610): multiple definition of
`_idn2_punycode_decode@IDN2_0.0.0'
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

I tracked this down to a commit made to libidn2 a week ago:

https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn2/commit/089616574679a017f5d45c6bd40b05816ae4db6b

I downgraded libidn2 to 2.2.0 and recompiled gnutls and the other
packages depending on it and now samba compiles without any problems. I
can't say if this is a bug in libidn2, gnutls or samba so I can't file a
bug report for it.

Regards
Morgan