Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:12:47 -0500
From:      "Benjamin Greenwald" <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Michael Robinson" <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Naming branches

My point is this:

I moved from 3.0-current to 3.0-stable at the time of the branch.  My
machine doesn't crash any less since the move.  In fact, I didn't buildworld
in the last couple of weeks before the branch and now my machine crashes
more often.

By calling the branch -stable, whether we intend to or not, we are making a
statement about both the robustness of the code and the ease of use.  In the
case of 3.0-stable, I think we can all agree the upgrade path has been less
than smooth and the code is far less robust than 2.2-stable.

I think a lot of the people who are having trouble upgrading from 2.2-stable
to 3.0-stable are simply poorly informed of these facts.  By puting a new
release branch in a probationary period, people may be less likely to become
early adopters.  As a result, they are less inconvienenced and the early
adopters will be less annoyied by the constant stream of questions, which
although the answers are documented (/usr/src/UPDATING), they are documented
in a place which didn't exist previously and we can't really expect them to
know about.

It comes down to the poor guy who's machine no longer boots.  If he'd been
installing 3.0-development, then he really has no one but himself to blame.
By installing 3.0-stable, he has a rightful expectation that this shouldn't
have happended, and if you ask me, he has every right to be angry.

-Ben