Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:18:41 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1018566993.77f10e@mired.org>
Cc:        "mpd" <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>, "FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MBR, mfsroot.flp, handbook, and list fail me! [mwm]

Hi again Peter!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > They install two different things. fdisk installs /dev/mbr, which
should be the standard boot manager. boot0cfg installs /dev/boot0, which
is the FreeBSD boot manager. If you're getting a different behavior,
either 1) something is broken on your system, or 2) there's a serious
bug somewhere.
> > No. I've used "fdisk -B da0" to do this on my SCSI-based systems.

> Way-way-wait...  I appreciate the assistance, Mike but one moment you
gave
> an example that used "fdisk -B -b" and the one above is just
"fdisk -B" so
> now I am growing unnecessarily confused.  In a nutshell:
>
> * When I run "boot0cfg" alone, it seems to know about too much stuff.
> * I don't want a boot-manager at all.  No F1, F2, etc menus please. :)
> * I want the "active partition" (wordchoice?) to be /dev/ad0s2a
(FreeBSD).
> * I still want to be able to mount /dev/ad0s1 (MSDOS/Win98SR1).

In a previous mail in this thread I said: " I just tried 'fdisk -B ad0',
and it has correctly 'demoted' the boot manager to just go ahead and
boot the first partition."

The -b argument to fdisk will allow you to specify one of the
alternative boot codes, but the one you want is /boot/mbr, which is the
default value for -b.  Therefore, you do not need to specify it when
typing the command.

As Mike said above, and as I confirmed, this should do the trick for
you:
# fdisk -B ad0

Alternatively, you can do EXACTLY the same thing by typing:
# fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr ad0

Mike used "da0" because his is a SCSI disk, but yours is IDE, so "ad0"
is the way to go.

If you need to set the active partition, use:
# fdisk -a ad0

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za