Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:38:26 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        <joeo@cracktown.com>, Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netbsd advances...

At 12:04 PM -0500 2000/11/28, <joeo@cracktown.com> wrote:

>  Yes, I know FreeBSD had a merged buffer cache for the 1.1.5 release and I
>  think everything after the 2.2 release.  Just nice to see that the end
>  user perceived performance of netbsd may finally get to the point where I
>  could stand to use it (especially on older hardware).

	Excellent.  Anybody know if it is now useable on older PCI
PowerMac hardware, such as the 7200?  I'd much rather use this thing
as a *BSD server than to let it sit and gather dust, which is
basically what it's doing right now.

	I could spend money and get a logic board upgrade to something
that would let me drop in a G3 or G4 chip, but even then I probably
still wouldn't be able to run MacOS X, and for that kind of money I
might as well get a brand-new machine anyway.

	However, if my only real option is still to run LinuxPPC, I think
I'll wait a while longer.  I don't mind using Linux where it makes
sense to do so here at work, but I'm not motivated at all to use it
at home.  But installing and using *BSD at home is something I could
get interested in....

	Thanks!

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium