Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:58:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@daemontech.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Log analysis program running under apache reboots server!

Greetings all..

  I have been trying to test an apache log analizing program called Nettracker
 (wwww.sane.com) the program seems nice except for the fact that it keeps
 rebooting/crashing the server. This would just be labeled crappy software
 except for the fact that I am running the software as user apache and have
setup process limits in login.conf and it is still able to reboot the server.

  This seems like a real problem and security issue as I have setup limits in
 /etc/login.conf (see below) and the program is being run via CGI as user
 apache, yet it is still capable of rebooting the system. Seems like a nice
 hack
 to me.

  If anyone could check over my  login.conf settings below and make sure they
 are
 correct/ truly usefull, I would really appreciate it! Also any information on
 how this program could so easily reboot the server would be nice too.

   Thanks!!

    Nicole

 System is 4.1-STABLE and has 256 Megs of memory and 4X that of swap.

 apacheuser:\
         :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/X11R6/man /usr/local/man:\
         :cputime=4h:\
         :datasize=64M:\
         :stacksize=4M:\
         :filesize=infinity:\
         :memoryuse=64M:\
         :priority=0:\
        :datasize-cur=32M:\
        :stacksize-cur=32M:\
        :coredumpsize-cur=0:\
        :maxmemorysize-cur=64M:\
        :memorylocked=32M:\
        :maxproc=128:\
        :openfiles=256:\
         :tc=standard:

## standard - standard user defaults
##
 standard:\
         :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
         :welcome=/etc/motd:\
         :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K:\
         :path=~/bin /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin:\
         :manpath=/usr/share/man /usr/local/man:\
         :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
         :cputime=1h30m:\
         :datasize=8M:\
         :stacksize=2M:\