Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:02:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: Managing Maildirs

> >>On a totally unrelated note,  I'm thinking about switching from mbox
> >>formatted mailboxes using imap, to a more robust and faster imap server
> >>that uses maildirs.  My problem is, I have pop users, imap users, and
> >>elm/mutt/pine users on the same box.  Does elm/mutt/pine work ok with
> >>maildirs?  What about sendmail?  What should I be looking out for?

Pine can be made to work with some itchy-scratchy patching.  Takes some
work.  I have a precompiled tree for 4.50 that is patched, though.

For elm you'll need to use some sort of wrapper, none of which work
particularly well.

Mutt supports maildirs natively without issue.

> >The hard part will be converting your current mbox-style mailboxes over to
> >maildir-style mailboxes, IMHO.

Painful, but not to bad.  A few people have posted solutions to this over
time.  I've used a customly-hacked-with-an-axe solution locally but:
http://www.gerg.ca/hacks/mb2md/
seems to have covered it using only two scripting languages. :) (my local
version uses four...)

---
david raistrick
drais@atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html