Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 14:40:17 -0400
From:      Vladislav <reason@shadow.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: [Q] NE2000 startup config

Thanks for your help,
I was able to get to the configuration prompt and
configure my card.  Only once I exit (using the save options)
it does not save it anywere.
I also found a site http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/kernelchange.htm
that actually descibed how to make changes to the files
in /boot directory.
The problem I am having right now is that the system does not seem
to read those files.  I think this is because I do not have boot loader
installed, I boot from a floppy disk (I tried to install FreeBSD's boot manager
but I have a old MB that can only boot from drive 1, and my freeBSD is
on drive 2 (all IDE), and even though drive 1 has free space from block 0 to
block 63,  FreeBSD cannot create a partion there, so overall I cannot
install the boot manager onto the boot sectors of drive 1 and therfore cannot
boot from the hardisk, and therefore cannot use /boot/kernel.conf files to
manage the boot process.)

But anyways, thanks for the help, I guess, I have no other way but to change
the address of my network card (but then I have the sound card that is on x280,
so I have change that as well).

Vladislav

> I believe that a way for the original correspondent to address his
> concern (no pun intended, honest!) would be to interrupt the "spinning
> propeller" 10-second count-down during boot by pressing the space bar
> once.  Then, at the "boot> " prompt, enter "boot -c", which will allow
> the same kind of configuration dialog that was provided for during the
> install of FreeBSD.
>
> It should then be possible to select Network cards; from those, select
> the NE2000(-compatible) ed0, then (in the lower part of the screen)
> specify the low address in question (and optionally, the IRQ).
>
> Upon leaving this dialog, one will have the option to save the results;
> I recommend doing this.  ("Under the covers", this writes a file called
> /boot/kernel.conf.  It may be of interest to look at this file at some
> point, though it's not necessary under most conditions.)
>
> The above-cited procedure is discussed on pp. 50-52 of the 2nd edition
> of _The Complete FreeBSD_; especially p. 51.
>
> Cheers,
> david
> --
> David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
> voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915

..