Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:17:51 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <ehoward@ameritech.net>
To:        Jeff Lee <dibble@cc.gatech.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable E-mail LIst <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: just keep on crashing...

At a certain time, now past, Jeff Lee spake thusly:

--------8<--snip--------

> > [ On Wednesday, February 14, Eric L. Howard wrote: ]
> > > I'm attempting to get 4.2 up on a homebrew.
> > >
> > > ASUS P2B-DS mobo w/ onboard aic7xxx
> > > 2 - Seagate ST39204LW U2 drives
> > > Dual PIII 700Mhz
> > >
> > > I'm almost consistently running into problems when I go to do
> > > stuff like cvsup or even installing some packages.  Seems as if
> > > whenever I get into something pushing the drives heavy and
> > > consistently for any sustained period the machines crashes.
> > >

> > Well, for what it's worth, I have a P2B-DS running dual Pentium III
> > 500's (which is as high as my board can deal with as I have the
> > "older" revision without support for the coppermine core) and two
> > LVD U2 Quantum Viking II drives, a CD-RW, CD-ROM, and Seagate
> > TapeStor 8000 drive all on the onboard controller. Never had a lick
> > of trouble with it.
> >
> > Maybe your RAM is flakey? have you tried testing it or swapping a
> > "known good" DIMM in? I don't know if those drives might be to
> > blame....

--------8<--snip--------

OK...I'm on my third machine here and I THINK I may have found a winner...I got
to swapping parts on the couple I had open and things didn't get much better.
At least on this third one, I've only had problems w/ the NIC.

By the look of things (I have 4 boxen yet to open and crank up), the whole
thing could end up having been a 'damaged during shipping problem'.  Thanks to
all for the suggestions.

	~ELH~

--
E r i c  L.  H o w a r d               e h o w a r d @ a m e r i t e c h . n e t