Date:      Fri,  9 May 97 08:51:25 -0400
From:      "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ESCAPE!  Florida Cruise/Vacation $598/4 People

Responding To:	"Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Original Date:	Thu, 8 May 1997 17:43:33 -0700 (PDT)

> we have considered only accepting mail from  those that are already
> subscribed...this means from the address that they used to
> subscribe...a number of people have more thatn 1 email address
> this wouldforce them to always use the same address when sending
> mail to the list.  and god help those whose mail is forwarded

A number of lists I am on already do this.

I have different accounts, but if I want to post to the group from one of
them I sign up and turn off the option to receive the messages from the group
on that account.

Also: how about checking that the list is mentioned in either the To or Cc
line?  Yes I know that that will prevent people from Bcc'ing the list, but
who cares?

Also: how about checking that there is a valid domainname in the 'from'?

# whois FL-CRUISE.com
No match for "FL-CRUISE.COM".

(I believe that the latest sendmail can do this)

You can also do, as someone else suggested, keyword checking on email from
first-time posters, assuming that each spammer will only try once from each
account or name?

Yes I know that even these suggestions aren't perfect -- however together
they form a pretty good first line of defense...

TjL

--
TjL   <luomat@peak.org>
	http://www.peak.org/~luomat/next/