Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2019 09:29:24 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Subject:   Re: Omg upgrade wants to install MySQL

03.11.2019 9:20, @lbutlr wrote:

> On 02 Nov 2019, at 19:35, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>> I prefer third option. Sometimes it is handy to "pkg lock" packages you installed from ports buiklt with non-default options, too.
>
> If I could tell which pkg install is going to install MySQL and libX stuff I would lock those, but I Dion’t see anyway to check that.

You need to lock MariaDB.

> And it does seem odd that pkg is still assuming MySQL and desktop FreeBSD.
> I know of many 120 FreeBSD servers and not one has a GUI desktop.
> I mean, I am sure they exist, but they must be a pretty tiny sliver.

First, it is NOT pkg assuming anything. Package repository has packages built from ports with their *default* options
and pkg merely uses them.

Second, support of X headers/formats/libraries does not assume "desktop" FreeBSD
and does not install any graphical environment but generally only some small headers or libs,
not even libX11 not to mention heavy window managers or desktop environment.