Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:17:20 -0800
From:      David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel init slower than linux

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:
> I think it's because no concerted effort has been put into optimizing
> the boot time on FreeBSD. I tested a stripped-down kernel on my iBook G4
> a while ago and it would boot in a couple of seconds - but that was
> without any network card, USB support etc.

I think that's correct.  There was a concerted effort to optimize boot
time on Linux once people started to run it on netbooks, where fast
booting is a big deal.  FreeBSD concentrates mostly on servers, and no
one really cares how long it takes a server to boot because you don't
boot them very often...