Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:37:25 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Subject:   Re: Routing (was: isic0 not found at 0x340)

On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 10:59:10AM +0200, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >From the keyboard of Christoph Kukulies:
>
> > I still have it not running.
>
> You have two problems.

no longer :-)
It works!
Somehow I must have messed several things.

1. I removed everything from my old kernel config file regarding i4b
   and inserted the portion from the LINT config file, enabled the
   AVM_A! line/driver.

2. I removed /sys/compile/MONKAVMIFB totally. Maybe there were some
   i4b .o files from 3.2 release kernel compilation
   and make didn't notice when I overinstalled i4b-0.83
   (the config mimicry is magic to me anyway - since -n has been gone)

3. I had an isdnd in /usr/local/bin which is now in /usr/sbin (better/correct
   place anyway) This came suddenly after I had cleaned /sys/compile/*
   and I wanted to start isdnd. It said kernel 83 ! = 70 (isdnd)
   (and usrdevicename isppp which is isp now I've learnt).

So the conclusion is: I had a mix of i4b 0.70 and 0.83 on my
machine. Very odd, my fault of course, so I apologize for having
wasted your time, but I've learnt some things:

netmask isn't important on the POINT to POINT link
/etc/gateways isn't necessary.
Sometimes one can rely on the rule 'it has always worked that way' ;-)
(you only don't know, when)

> The first is an easy and obvious one, you get protocol errors to "kuku-home",
> either i4b has a bug (which i doubt for this case) or your exchange (to verify
> this i need isdntrace data, but i dont have time to debug this currently ..).
> Sometimes a call succeeds, so the ISDN problems don't seem to be related to
> your main problem.
>
> The other problem is, that no data flows on the B channel once a connection
> is made to either "kuku-home" or the other destination.
>
> This is not exactly true, as at least nearly always some bytes flow in the
> "in" direction, but not in the "out" direction and at least one time there
> is data flowing in both directions for "kuku-home" (So the whole i4b/ISDN
> setup is OK and working).
>
> Have you configured VJ-Header compression for the ipr interfaces the same
> on all machines ? That might be the cause.
>
> If its not the cause, i think the only thing left is that you have some
> kind of ip routing problem. tcpdump is your friend ... ;-)

Thanks a lot, Hellmuth!