Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:38:57 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <Johan@double-l.nl>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixit live cd amd64

--AqCDj3hiknadvR6t

* Bruce A. Mah <bmah@freebsd.org> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Ed Schouten wrote:
> > * Bruce A. Mah <bmah@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> The Live CD is actually its own disk on amd64 (and maybe one or two
> >> other architectures). You want the disk that corresponds to
> >> 7.0-CURRENT-200706-amd64-livefs.iso.
> >=20
> > Which is, in my opinion, a regression. With previous releases it was
> > still possible to perform an installation of FreeBSD by hand. Now you
> > need two CD-ROM drives; one with the livefs to boot from and another one
> > containing all install sets.
>=20
> No, that's not true.  You don't boot off the livefs CD...you boot off of
> disc1, which also contains all of the installation sets.  The livefs is
> used principally for the Fixit feature.  It's perfectly possible to do a
> 7.0 snapshot installation on amd64 with a single CD and a single CD-ROM
> drive; I just did this a few days ago in fact.

To make sure we're talking about the same subject: with installing
FreeBSD `by hand', I mean performing an installation without using
sysinstall, but just your shell, newfs, tar, etc.

> It'd be nice if the livefs content could fit onto the first CD, but we
> just ran out of space.

Would there still be room on the livefs CD to store only the `base'
install set? That would sure be a life-saver for a lot of people.

--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
 WWW: http://g-rave.nl/

--AqCDj3hiknadvR6t