Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:54:21 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link DWA-131 A1 (Realtek RTL8191SU) not working

Hi,

Just stumbled upon this thread in the mailing list archives and wanted
to leave a note about my experience. I was running into the same problem
-- appeared to be associated, but was not passing any traffic.

rsu0: <vendor 0x0bda product 0x8171, class 0/0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 4>
on usbus0
rsu0: MAC/BB RTL8712 cut 3

My wpa_supplicant.conf was very simple:

network={
        ssid="my-ssid"
        psk="my-psk"
}

Confused, because this worked elsewhere.

On a whim I decided to get more verbose:

network={
        ssid="my-ssid"
        proto=RSN
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=CCMP
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="my-psk"
}

And like magic it started passing traffic.

Hope this helps someone else out there.