Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:13:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 3500

I have a new machine, a Dell Inspiron 3500. PAO under 3.1-REL
works, almost perfectly.

----------------- FYI ----------------------------------
For those considering this machine

Only the left bay can take the CDROM or Floppy.
As soon as I realized this I was worried, but
then I found this odd cable in the box: it allows one to
hook up the floppy to the parallel port so that you
can have both the CD and floppy connected. It is a
hardware level thing, so I could boot off the floppy
and use it under FreeBSD!

Both bays can take batteries. I have the DVD-ROM which
works as a CDROM without a problem under FreeBSD.
I added the pnp and pcm drivers and the audio works
as well.

The NeoMagic video controller works PERFECTLY under Xfree86
3.3.3.1, 1024x768, 24bit color.

256MB of RAM is seen without a problem.

Don't bother buying the internal modem: it is a winmodem.
It creates problems for PCCards, because it screws up
IRQ 3 so that you have to add 'ignirq 3' to the
/etc/pccard.conf file.

The problem was that when I put my 3c589c ethernet card
in, it gets put on IRQ 3 because sio1 fails the kernel
boot scan. But the WinModem is there so when the IRQ
gets pulled, it gets screwed up. I see the packets go
out, but when they come back it takes 2-3 seconds for
them to come up.

Damn nice, that PAO. Nice notebook.

Dan