Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 18:10:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dean Forester <deanf@www.durham.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   INN 1.4 unoff4 running on FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Hi,

We are running our news server on a 486 DX4/100 with 48Mb RAM, and 50Mb
of swap space. The machine is running on a ISA motherboard, with an
Adaptec 1542C SCSI controller. There is a 4Gb drive mounted
on /var/spool/news drive, a 500Mb drive mounted on root, 1Gb drive mounted on
/usr, and a The installation was from the FreeBSD 2.0.5 CD-ROM, and then
upgrade over the net to 2.1.0-RELEASE.

The only function of this machine is a news server. We have a T1
connection, and our provider is feeding us news with NNTPLINK constantly.
We are currently receiving about 3Gb of news a day. At most there is 5
users reading news via NNRPD (not logged into the machine), and only 1
user (myself) logged in tailing the syslog (not running any heavy
processes).

The Problem:  Every day or so the machine runs out of VM and kills INND,
thus taking down the whole news server. Is there any way short of putting
in another 32Mb (I know this will help, just can't afford it right now)
of RAM to solve this problem for the time being?

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dean Forester

p.s. This also happened when we were running INN 1.4sec that was FTP'ed
from FTP.CDROM.COM in the ports area.