Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:15:31 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install a Perl module that's not currently a port?

--Dxnq1zWXvFF0Q93v

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 12:55:57PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 02:06:39PM -0400, Frank Laszlo wrote:
> > Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> >=20
> > >Howdy,
> > >
> > >How does one cleanly install a perl module (List::Group, in this case)
> > >that's not currently a port? I seem to recall reading something about a
> > >CPAN wrapper or something along those lines ...
> >
> > You could either create your own port for it, or use cpan to install it=
,=20
> > information regarding cpan can be found at
> > http://www.cpan.org, to get to the cpan shell, simply execute:
> > perl -MCPAN -e shell
>=20
> I'll likely create my own port then, as I don't want to get off the
> portupgrade track. I was hoping that there was a CPAN wrapper that would
> "portify" modules brought in via CPAN automatically.

Actually, BSDPAN does most of that.  It overrides the normal CPAN
behaviour to register the installed package in the pkgdb -- so you can
delete it or make a FreeBSD pkg out of it.  The worst problem is that
a package installed via BSDPAN doesn't have a port origin or the other
usual bits for an ordinary port.  They're also not capable of being
maintained by portupgrade(1).

Having a real port for any useful perl modules is desirable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way