Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:53:03 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X - after some time can't lauch new windows, Error: Can't open display

Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> After some time I cannot open any new windows in X,
> I get
> 	No protocol specified
> 	Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> This is on i386 9.0-current with ... xorg-7.4_2,
> xorg-server-1.6.1,1, xf86-video-intel-2.7.1
> After logging into X via xdm I can launch new windows fine.
> But after a while, probably several hours, an attempt to
> launch a new window, i.e. any program that opens a new window,
> like xterm or xpdf, results in the error message above.

I have not seen this with local clients, but I _have_ seen something
similar from time to time with remote (ssh tunneled) clients.  IIRC
there was also some kind of squawk about display permissions, as if
something related to xauth had gotten messed up.

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 with Xorg 6.9.0; remotes are various Linux
and Solaris boxes (and I haven't made note of their versions, nor
if the problem happens with some remote versions and not others).
Point being that, if we're both seeing the same issue or closely
related, it's not of recent origin.