Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 1996 10:12:10 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native & Linux ELF support finally there...

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996 11:11:51 +0100 (MET)  Andreas Klemm wrote:

> ELF format has become "industry standard". Every Unix Vendor, who
> migrated his OS to SVR4, has done the final step to ELF format.
> HP, Silicon Graphics, Sun, ...

HP-UX isn't SysVr4.  Neither does did it use ELF last time I looked
but instead (like us) an enhanced a.out format to support shared
libraries.

While ELF is nicer to consider migrating we'd need to be sure that the
migration path is very smooth and that the maintenance overhead of
supporting a.out for backward compatibility would not be burdensome.

Giles