Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:50:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shells, users and X

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Ben Smithurst wrote:

>Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
>> As a side note, it is unadvisable to make root's shell bash in
>> /etc/passwd.

>Why should you need the fixit disk if your root shell is fucked? Just
>type `-s' at the boot prompt and it will let you start plain old
>/bin/sh. (Unless you've knackered that one as well :-)

This does make sense. I do not recall why -s did not work, but I do recall
that it did not. I most likely "knackered" sh some time prior to my
trouble and was unable to figure which of my tinkerings broke it.

As I think about it, I may even have deleted sh back in my early days
because I figured one shell (/bin/bash with sh linked to it.) was good
enough.

Shortly after this I learned about the dynamic linking in bash.

Imagine my dismay when -s did not work and I didn't have a fixit flop. :-O
At least I still had a phone to call a buddy with an internet connection.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/