Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:44:49 -0700
From:      John Scharles <johns@cruz.isle.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk Hard Error

I posted this the other day on the hardware list, and didn't get much in
the way of encourging replies. Does anyone here have any suggestions on how
to get data off what is probably a toasted unix hard drive? (i.e. like how
to force a mount so I could get around the couple bad sectors that fsck
reports)

********** original post **********

On powering up our FreeBSD 2.1.6 this morning we were greeted with a "hard
error reading block such&such" message. This is a Dell machine with a built
in IDE controller.

After looking through the handbook and archives I haven't found much
information about trying to recover files off a dying drive (it has the
/usr directory, which of course has some files that are nowhere else!). Is
there way I can look at or force a mount?

Also I saw some reference to a full drive causing this type of
error...could this be the cause of a hard error?

Thanks

John