Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Found BAD BUG: squashed

:Note that Bruce's fix doesn't addres the invariant stomping the
:reference count, which makes checking for multiple frees
:impossible.  The only way to fix that is to move the cr_ref out
:of the first two bytes.
:
:
:I would still like a general reference counting mechanism, so
:I could turn on overflow checking at runtime.
:
:As I said before, this is independent of whether the cred is
:duplicated near overflow, or the count pushes the overflow off
:to 4 billion (without preventing it).
:
:					Terry Lambert

    I think we can safely move the ref counter to the end of the
    structure (and make it a u_int) after the 4.3 release, and if
    you want to have a KASSERT to test for 4-billion-overflow, that's
    fine with me too.  I think being able to check for a double-free
    is a good idea.

						-Matt