Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 05:45:55 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ld.so can't find libraries

I've checked the ld.so and ldconfig man pages to see if there was
anything I could do.  I have just redone the locate database with
/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb so I know the locate database is current.
When I try running startx, I get immediately an error message saying:

ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "(some library)"

where (some library) is something like libXMtu.so.6.0 (not sure about
what's between the X and the first .)  I located the library in the
/usr/X11R6/lib dir and when I did an ldconfig -r it showed:

/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints:
        search directories:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:
/usr/local/lib

BTW, I just upgraded my system to FreeBSD 3.0-stable through cvsup
and make aout-to-elf (build and install).  Redid my whole /etc and
/dev according to the tutorials on these pages:

http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
http://www.ucb.crimea.ua/~ru/FreeBSD/30upgrade.html

Worked like a charm to upgrade, but now X won't start...  Also, the
kernel doesn't seem to detect more than 64 MB ram even though I
specified 128 MB but that's a minor concern for now.

Anyone know how to make ld.so find the libraries that actually are in
it's search path?

Thanks!

Manu