Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 19:50:14 -0700
From:      "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicrecords.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rearranging files

On 1 Sep 99, at 11:27, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 August 1999 at 18:49:13 -0700, Dave Walton wrote:
> > What is the best way to move everything from one partition (not
> > slice) to another, larger partition?  I was looking at 'cp -pR', but that
> > doesn't quite do it right - hard-linked files become multiple copies.
>
> tar will do this correctly.

Oh, you mean like where it says in the man page for tar:

     To move file hierarchies, use a command line like this:
     tar -cf - -C srcdir . | tar xpf - -C destdir

I should have thought to look there...

> But the version in -STABLE and -RELEASE
> can't handle devices with large minor numbers.

I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a reference to /dev,
which I wasn't planning to mess with.

> > As long as I'm posting...
> > I was just looking at a disk with the disklabel editor in sysinstall,
> > and saw this:
> >
> >    Part    Mount            Size Newfs
> >    ----    -----            ---- -----
> >    da0s1a  <none>           64MB *
> >    da0s1b  swap            320MB SWAP
> >    da0s1e  <none>           64MB *
> >    da0s1f  <none>         1024MB *
> >    da0s1g  <none>         10240MB*
> >    da0s1h  <none>         10240MB*
> >
> > If I were to create another partition on that disk, it would become
> > da0s1d.  Is it normal for 'd' to be the last partition created, or did I
> > somehow do something strange to make it work out that way?
>
> No, that's the way they're allocated.

Oh, ok.  Why?  Historical quirk?

> But I have great doubts that
> you need even as many partitions as you have.

I've been around here long enough to have expected that comment
from you.  :)  I'm still toying with how I want to set up the machine
in question, but here are the details of what you see above:

da0s1a   /   (to be mounted readonly, perhaps)
da0s1b   swap   (but you knew that)
da0s1e   /var
da0s1f   /usr   (also readonly, perhaps)
da0s1g   /home  (quotas enabled, so separate fs)
da0s1h   /where?   (app data - mysql, apache, cyrus, etc)
da0s1d?   /music?   (mp3 archive - could go in da0s1g, but not
   da0s1h.  Needs quota or separate partition, because it'll tend to
   overflow.)

Any nits to pick?

Dave