Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:52:41 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        mbermal@ucsd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link 528CT, to add to my last mail (fwd)

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 01:15:25AM -0700, Mark Bermal wrote:
> hello agin!
> 	I just thought i'd mention that on the D-Link website there are
> drivers for both SCO 4.X and 5.X and linux kernel 1.2, any chance of
> usesing these drivers? I really want this Dlinik 528CT to work.
>
> Please Help!
>
> Thank You
>
> Mark Bermal
>
> PS: I stiill have the no backspace bporb problem with rxvt and pine.

OK, the Dlink 528CT is a PCI ethernet card. If you are feeling lucky you
can try just plugging the card into a PCI slot in your FreeBSD box and
rebooting. Make sure it's the only ethernet card in the box. If you see an
ethernet address in the bootup system messages, BINGO! today is your luck
day.

If you do not see an ethernet address, sigh heavily (feel a little better?)
and now you have 4 choices

       1. write your own driver for this card

       2. hope Dlink will write a driver for FreeBSD (don't hold your breath
          here)

       3. hope one of the FreeBSD people write a driver (again no holding
          your breath)

       4. buy another ethernet card and forget about using this one.

The lesson here is obvious. If you want a driver for this card you are just
going to have to write it your self. Look on the bright side; you got this
card for free, it will look good on a resume, lots of FreeBSD will be
thankful, and women will want to get to know you (well...  maybe not, but
lots of FreeBSD people will be thankful) ;-)

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.1
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses