Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 1995 15:56:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd.questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel config; MFS, tun or ijppp

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Barry Masterson wrote:

> I'm in the final stages of recompiling the 2.1.0 distribution kernel.
> I've noticed that there are two similar files; BOOTMFS & GENERIC.
> They seem identical except for two lines added to the BOOTMFS file;
>
> 	options "MFS_ROOT=1000"
> 	options MFS
>
> I've read that MFS is used to manage large swap partitions. I have a
> 64meg swap partition, 8meg of ram. I plan to run Xwindows soon, as well
> as any of the web browsers I can install.  Is MFS something I should
> consider?

	MFS is a Memory File System, unless the meaning has been changed
recently.  It basically means that, if you have it in your /etc/fstab
file, when the system boots, it will make a RAMdisk (in DOS terms) out
of your 8Meg of RAM, thereby giving you less memory to play use.

	On systems with a large amount of "real" RAM, it is generally
used for /tmp, speeding up some programs by not requiring temporary
files to have to be written to a "real" hard drive

> Also, in the config file, there are references to 'tun' & 'ijppp'.
> Two of the lines were hashed out in the distribution package. Can I leave
> it as it is, recompile & expect my ppp connection to work?  Is ijppp a
> newer & better version of tun?

	Umm...are you referring to:

# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
#pseudo-device  ppp     1
pseudo-device   tun     1

	If so, then if you are going to use ijppp, you have to enable the
'tun' device.  Since I only use ijppp, I've disabled ppp, but, I believe,
the ppp device is for when you have users dialing into your machine to
connect using ppp...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc