Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:42:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, gilham@csl.sri.com
Subject:   Re: cvsup

>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:10:41 -0700
>From: Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>

>> a) cvsup weekly
>> b) check the -stable list daily for any interesting new merges (AKA MFC's)
>> c) if I see an new security fixes, or anything that sounds like it would
>> affect my system in a positive manner, build world.

>I used to do something like this.  But I finally decided that step a)
>is unnecessary, and the cvsup should be folded into step c).  Why
>cvsup weekly if you're not going to build it?  A good reason NOT to is
>that most of the time your sources won't match your system,
>potentially making it harder to debug your system if you have
>problems.

It depends.  For example, one of the things it depends on is whether you're
using CVSup to update your sources directly, vs. maintaining a local CVS
repository.

Also, there are a lot of MFCs that are not announced in -stable.  You
will find them in cvs-all, however.

Much of "why" one might choose one approach over another is related to
the purpose(s) behind maintaining the system(s) in question -- and
different people maintain different systems at different times for
different reasons.  :-)

>Another reason is to not bog down the cvsup servers.

Although this has significant merit, I suspect that the effect may well
be rather different from your expectations.  In particular, finding a
good combination of an appropriate mirror and time-of-day to run CVSup
can be helpful.  (It's nice if folks don't gang up on a given mirror,
for example.)

I set up my script for running CVSup (which I use to maintain a local
mirror of the CVS repository on a daily basis; it thus includes src-all,
ports-all, and doc-all) to log when it starts & stops (as well as which
mirror it used) -- the intent being that I'd have some clue to be able
to report in the (rather unlikely) event that there was something wrong
with the process.  Here's a "tail" of that log:

m147[1] tail /var/log/cvsup-history.log
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat Jul 21 16:06:46 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sat Jul 21 16:13:46 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun Jul 22 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Sun Jul 22 03:52:39 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jul 23 03:47:00 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jul 23 03:54:28 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jul 24 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jul 24 03:53:29 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Jul 25 03:47:00 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Jul 25 03:52:54 PDT 2001
m147[2]

(I encountered a problem building something on Saturday, and noted (via
cvs-all) that a fix had been committed.  Rather than hand-apply the fix,
I just re-CVSupped, then re-did my local "cvs update".)

But as you can see, the process doesn't generally take a terribly long
time.

(As for my reasons:  I'm actually trying to build each of -STABLE and
-CURRENT (on the same hardware) daily, with the intent to help identify
(and maybe fix -- though that's a lot rarer than I'd like) problems either
building or using the software.  I'm also experimenting a little, testing
changes that folks make available when I can.)

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.