Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:01:05 -0600
From:      Dan Rue <drue@therub.org>
To:        I Nyoman Suka Ada <sekali@kejadian.or.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow SSH access from another FreeBSD, but not from WinXP

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 03:28:52AM +0800, I Nyoman Suka Ada wrote:
> Hi,
> maybe this is more related to SSH rather than FreeBSD,
> but thought I give it a shot here.
>
> SSH-ing to my FreeBSD box from Windows XP seems to have no problem.
> But when I tried SSH-ing from another FreeBSD/Linux systems,
> the time delay between connecting and the "password:" prompt
> is very long.
>
> I googled this, read about placing some host entries on /etc/hosts.
> But still, very slow. But the most interesting thing is that, why is it
> not slow when SSH-ing from Win XP.
> (I use putty in Win XP, and both ssh client and putty from FreeBSD/Linux
> system).

Delays like this are typically related to DNS.  I'm guessing that your
FreeBSD/Linux system doesn't have valid reverse DNS set up.  You can
either set up correct reverse dns, or just twiddle UseDNS in your
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file.  From `man sshd_config`:

UseDNS  Specifies whether sshd should lookup the remote host name and
        check that the resolved host name for the remote IP address maps
        back to the very same IP address.  The default is ``yes''.

Also you can try using ssh -v to see where the holdup is.

HTH,
dan