Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:07:47 +0200
From:      Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes@daemon.li>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: headinlines firstletter capitalized

Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:17:02PM +0100, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:09:23PM +0200, Josef El-Rayes wrote:

> > > i was wondering whether press article's headlines should have
> > > capatalized first letters of each word or should it be the way it is
> > > capatalized on the articles headline.

> > [quote of chicago style guide]
> > We should be using this universally, IMO.

> I don't think we should do that.  We would have different headlines than
> the original article, which is not good.
> Quote the Manual of Style articles to the article authors instead :-)

my first opinion was to keep the headlines as they are in the original
content, which is in most cases only a small difference.
but after some more reflection on this topic i think we
should not start making exceptions in style. we do have strict/well
defined rules for how to have the content look and i think this should apply
to _all_ the content we have, without exception.

yes, the chicago style says we should keep it the way it
is in the original document but i think that creates a style
conflict on the press page.  have a look at some of the older entries, there
are some with capitals for all letters.

For me it is a matter of consistency, for example we
always have the .X in versions written in capitals, but some of the
headlines have it  written in small letters - i do not think this looks
good.

greets, josef
--
www: http://www.daemon.li