Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:06:50 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The recommended LaTeX port?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 08:53:37 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > >
> > > Which is *the* \LaTeX distribution for FreeBSD currently?
> > >
> > > I remember last time I needed \LaTex around a dozen years ago, I used
> > > the teTeX port, but cannot find it now.
> >
> > This is currect, teTeX has been discontinued. The consensus
> > is to use TeXlive which is in FreeBSD ports, but is offered
> > for many other platforms, too.
>
> OK, print/texlive-full then.

Correct.

> > > Cyrillic support is crucial, direct output to PDF is very desirable,
> > > dependency on GUI libs and tools is not desirable.
> >
> > With TeXlive, you have the same tools (and more packages)
> > as teTeX, so the switch should be possible without problems.
> > For cyrillic text, only used occassionally, I use
>
> No, occassionally is not for me.

I always wanted to have a template wheer I can copy some
russian text into it (with cyrillic letters only, UTF-8,
but with the correct \frqq{}quotes\flqq{}, punctuation,
numbers and so on), and it would typeset as expected.
Sadly, I don't have such a template yet... :-(

And: No, creating a converter from cyrillic UTF-8 to
the EN-US-dominated nonsense ASCII replacement ruleset
with z, s, ch, kh, y, w, z, resulting in "zdravstvu\u{i}te"
and other mostly unreadable text doesn't count. :-)

> > Additionally, it _should_ be possible to use UTF-8
> > input sources with cyrillic letters directly, using
> >
> > 	\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>
> In fact, this is not sufficient, pdflatex still complains about Cyrillic
> characters. Maybe something like
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[russian]{babel}
>
> helps, but I think I need to find Russian users of TeXlive for
> instructions.

With TeXlive, you have at least the common foundation for
any typesetting work.

Oh, I just found something that works, thanks to your mentioning
of the babel package (which I never found any use for, not in
English, not in German). Save this to a demonstration file,
for example bagash.tex:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{a4}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage[OT2,T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian]{babel}

\begin{document}

Самуил Я. Маршак:

\textbf{Багаж}

Дама сдавала в багаж:
Диван,
Чемодан,
Саквояж,
Картину,
Корзину,
Картонку
И маленькую собачонку.

\end{document}

If you now run "pdflatex bagash.tex", you will see all the
text as intended (even though it will be typeset in paragraph
mode, but that is what you'd expect without any further
markup).

I found the relevant coding example in the babel documentation:

https://ctan.org/pkg/babel?lang=en

http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/required/babel/base/babel.pdf

Just search for "russian", and you'll quickly find it.

I think this solves the initial problem. And I learned something
new today. :-)

> > > I forgot to mention that I've tried a couple of online editors like
> > > https://www.sharelatex.com/ but they all lacked Cyrillic support
> > > miserably (Cyrillic characters either did not show in the compiled
> > > output, or showed as mojibake).
> >
> > Just use a normal editor inside a terminal that can input
> > and display cyrillic letters. Even ye olde xterm can do it.
> > Make sure you set your environment variables correctly,
> > i. e., en_US.UTF-8.
>
> Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant *online* editors, not *visual*
> editors. That is, online \LaTex compilers, you just upload your source
> or edit it in a Web form, and they compile it for you online into PDF.
> https://www.sharelatex.com/ is like that. And for a fee, they offer
> collaboration tools, git integration etc.

Ah okay. I don't use any of those, that's why I cannot suggest
anything. Does a SSH access to a FreeBSD system with a normal
editor (vim, gvim, mcedit, joe) using a web-based SSH client
count as "online editor"? ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany