Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:58:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      <mestery@visi.com>
To:        Tiller Beauchamp <tbeaucha@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake 3 Retail

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Tiller Beauchamp wrote:

> www.lokigames.com  They ship you the game CD now, then your CD jewel, tin
> box and whatever else (SuSE 6.3) later.

Thanks, I forgot that Loki was doing that.

> Like you said, I tried to manually do what the setup program did. I just
> copied all the files from bin directory of the cdrom to my harddrive and
> ran it from there. I also had to set up a few links. Now it works fine*.

Good!

> I'm using pcm0 and as I heard on this list, that doesn't work. I'll have
> to switch to snd0.  12.5 fps hurts. I am able to get 25 fps under windows.
> I am running a low end machine: 266 PII, 64 ram, tnt1.  I'm running
> FreeBSD 3.3.3 and Xfree86 3.3.3.1. I followed the tutorial at

Did you get sound with the Quake3 demo or test program?  I am using
newpcm (pcm0), and I had sound with the demo and test program.  What
type of sound card do you have?  FYI, I don't know what fps I was
getting, but I have a dual Celeron 400MHz (BP6) with a G400 running with
GLX.  It was easily playable.

> to set up GL. I also installed the the linux_glx port.  Is there anything
> I did wrong to get such low fps, or is this just how it is till Xfree86
> 4.0?

The fps might speed up with X4.0 when the direct rendering interface is
available.

> Thanks for you suggestions :) Once I get this all sorted out I plan to
> write a little how to about this.

That would be most excellent.

--
Kyle Mestery			| Ancor Communications