Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 13:53:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        djkanter@northwestern.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPDATING is confusing me

As I recall, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> The wd driver is not compiled in by default anymore, and has been
> deprecated.  It will sooner or later start collecting some bit
> rot, and all sorts of problems can be expected from their usage
> instead of the ata driver.

There ought to be another term for what happens here than "bit rot".
It's not so much that the code decomposes, it's that the hardware
grows in unanticipated, unsupported ways.

In my mind, bit rot is more like what happens in the ports
collection, when the code is actively being modified, sometimes in
ways that disenfranchise legacy devices.

They are diametrically opposite.

So, what should we call it?  "Bit freshening" doesn't quite seem to
capture it...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net