Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:45:26 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        FreeBSD Fanatic <freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ACPI CHANGES AFFECTING MOST -CURRENT USERS

> > $ size scheme
> >    text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
> >   61342    4476    3480   69298   10eb2 scheme
>
> Is that statically-linked?  I'm curious to know the size of the bootloader
> forth footprint.  The loader is about 150k, so I'm sure you could probably
> fit a nice Scheme interpreter in under that size... ??

Dynamically linked.  Here is the statically linked size:

$ size scheme
 127659   11092    9236  147987   24213 scheme

Note that this is misleading because in order to build a
standalone binary you'd have to reduce libc dependence quite
a bit.  Basically avoid anything that makes a syscall.  You
can also throw out printf and friends, which will save you
over 10KB!  On the other side you'd have to add loader
specific code (either in Scheme or in c).

Here is the /boot/loader size for comparison sake:

text    data    bss     dec     hex
4096    147456  0       151552  25000

> > Tinyscheme is a mostly complete R5RS Scheme (R5RS is the
>
> You can also conditionally-compile the components to make a smaller
> footprint.  I'm highly in favor of Scheme replacing 4th...  It's a very
> easy language to learn (only 11 special forms) yet still powerful (you
> can't pass code as data in BASIC ;).  If you replace the boot loader
> interpreter, pick Scheme over LISP.  There are lots of implementations:
> siod, scm, mit-scheme, MzScheme, and tinyscheme are among the better ones.

Indeed.

But ultimately someone has to do the actual work for this to
go beyond mere wishful thinking.  I'd be happy to help out
(but not take on the whole task) if anyone braves the
naysayers :-)