Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:19:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla 0.9.8 and jdk1.3.1

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Michael Lucas wrote:

> OK, I believe it's time for me to hang my head in shame.
>
> It still doesn't work, mind you.  But at least I now get an error message:
>
> pedicular~;LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
> /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> [/usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
> Undefined symbol "XtShellStrings"]

Do you have /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so and /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6?  that
symbol should be defined there.  Do a

ldconfig -r | grep libXt

to make sure the library is loaded, and then

nm -D /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so | grep XtShellStrings

and look for something like:

00043359 R XtShellStrings

This means the symbol is defined and is located in a read-only data
section of the library.

Joe