Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 2021 02:38:49 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OS to replace FreeBSD

On 19 Mar 2021, at 11:02, Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
> Versions 10 & 11 work fine. This is something that FreeBSD did that
> screwed up the works.

As I understand it, the controller was always broken (returning an =
invalid and illegal ID?) it's just that FreeBSD tried to properly parse =
that ID and fails. Who know, there are probably security considerations. =
I know I do not want my system rusting a errant USB port considering the =
security disater that USB is.

Anyway, this is an issue with the controller and you have been told how =
to work around it. At this point, it's up to you if you want to apply =
the knife to cut out the controller causing the error or apply it to =
your nose instead.

Neither of these is really a great option, at least not if you are using =
USB3 devices for some reason, but there it is.

> Dell is aware of the problem but will do nothing

That matches every experience I've ever had with Dell, yes. but the =
issue appears to be the on board controller which is not theirs. The =
manufacturer of the on board controller could fix this, probably, but =
they have no motivation to.

> I am not going to spend more money to get a system that is happy with
> FreeBSD. I buy what I want and then get an OS that is capable of
> operating on it, not the other way around. In any case, I am thinking
> of either Fedora, Debian or Arch Linux. I was just looking for
> recommendations from anyone who has used those systems.

I find Linux to be annoyingly different in myriad ways, some of which =
are objectively inferior, so=E2=80=A6 Every time I need to do stuff on =
my Pi4 I feel like I am living on a. System that is almost, but not =
quite, entirely unlike Unix. YMMV, of course. If you are a desktop Unix =
person you may even prefer linux.

--=20
The brain is an amazing organ, it works every second of every day
	from before we're even born right up until the instant we fall =
in
	love.