Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:21:22 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Vlad GALU <dudu@dudu.ro>
Subject:   Re: kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked -- expected behaviour?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:06:55PM +0200, Philipp Ost wrote:
> Vlad GALU wrote:
>> On 10/18/07, Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de> wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> I'm currently upgrading from 6.2-STABLE (13 Oct. 2007) to RELENG_7. I
>>> did the following after csup'ing my sources:
>>> # make kernel-toolchain
>>> # make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>>> # make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>>>
>>> The last thing 'installkernel' reports is:
>>> [...]
>>> kldxref /boot/kernel
>>> kldxref: file isn't dynamically-linked
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> This message is repeated 514 times... ;-) Is this expected behaviour?
>>> Before I do a reboot I would like to make sure "everything works" as I
>>> rely on that particular machine.
>>>
>>> If needed I can provide full logs; MYKERNEL is a cut down version of
>>> GENERIC with atapicam, drm, radeondrm, sound added ;-)
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance for any hint/help!
>>>
>>    It's harmless. Once you boot with your new RELENG_7 they will
>> disappear on the next kernel build/install.
>
> Thanks a lot. I saw this message for the first time in my life and was a
> little bit concerned about it... But if everything seems to be fine I will
> give it a try.

As others have pointed out, these messages are harmless.  It's caused
by the old (6.x version) kldxref(8) binary trying to hash the *.symbols
files that are installed along with debug versions of kernel and module
objects, and that contain symbol information needed for debugging, and
aren't dynamically linked ELF files.  So the old kldxref(8) ignores
these files, but issues a warning.  Once you upgrade to 7.x, you'll have
also installed the new (7.x version) of kldxref(8) that is aware of
.symbols files, so warnings will be gone.

Technically, kldxref(8) should be a cross-tool (in the buildworld
sense), but last time I tried to convert it to be a cross-tool
several years ago it wasn't very easy.  It's quite possible it
will be easier now that we only support limited upgrade paths.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru@FreeBSD.org