Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:44:30 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Lucky Green <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        postfix_tls@aet.tu-cottbus.de, ports@freebsd.org, openssl-users@openssl.org, 'Vivek Khera' <khera@kcilink.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL 0.9.6/0.9.7 library version conflicts

Lucky Green wrote:
> I just spent a few days trying to determine why postfix with STARTTLS
> enabled is instantly dumping core on my new FreeBSD 5.0 machine.
>
> The problem was caused by a conflict between OpenSSL library versions
> 0.9.6 and 0.9.7, both of which are installed on the machine. The former
> as part of the FreeBSD base distribution, the latter as a Port.
>
> Unfortunately, the nature of the conflict, at least on my box, prevented
> any meaningful gdb back trace.
>
> If you are seeing unexplained core dumps with SSL-using applications and
> have both OpenSSL 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 installed, chances are you ran into
> this problem.
>
> Fix:
> no idea.

Very easy.  Make Postfix obey the port path, when obtaining header
files and linking components.  It should get everything from the
system location, or it should get everything from the default
location.  The most likely scenario is that the include path is
not being overridden, even when the library path is.  This is
most likely due to a bug in the GNU configure script.  The best
way around those bugs is "do not use GNU configure".

> FYI, FreeBSD is not the only OS on which this problem has been found to
> exist. Debian Linux is experience the same problem. See a post to
> debian-devel-announce attached below.

FWIW: this confirms that it's a Postfix problem.

-- Terry