Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 02:40:12 +0200 (EET)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@dracula.info.kiev.ua>
To:        "Vitaly A. Repin" <vitaly@radio.hop.stu.neva.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: troubles with DOS partition  (was: 2 questions from the    beginner)

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Vitaly A. Repin wrote:

> 2.2.5 RELEASE.

Probably, new enough

> SysInfo from NU7.0 displays that my DOS partition's cluster is 8k.

Sorry, I meant "partition large or shrinked (see below)

> "FreeBSD 2.1 and earlier versions could not handle cluster sizes larger
> than 16K.  Just mounting an MS-DOS file system could cause corruption to
> any mounted file system.  Cluster sizes larger than 16K are unavoidable
> for file system sizes larger than 1G, and also occur when filesystems
> larger than 1G are shrunk to smaller than 1G using FIPS."
>
> All capacity of my hdd is 850M. :(. But I've used the Partition Magic
> for DOS partition.
>
> > And under -current mount_msdos doesn't seem to even have this message
>             ^^^^^^^^
> What does it mean? if it means "the current version of mount_msdos
> doesn't display this message", that you aren't right. But you
> write "-current" and I haven't understood you.

I referred to FreeBSD-current (don't know about FreeBSD-stable - I haven't
got one)

> > anymore (in code, I mean). So if your release is new enough, you probably
> > have nothing to worry about.
>
> Unfortunately, it displays me the warning message.

It's what I used to get under 2.2.2-RELEASE. There wasn't anything except
this warning, though: no data loss, no FS corruption (God save!) - just
warning and that was all.

> Thank you for your time!

No sweat. You'd probably ask someone else as well, though; after all, my
computer is just a home PC and not a production system.

> Good-bye.
>                    WBR, Vitaly.

Regards,
Vladimir