Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 21:16:46 +0200
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (H)
To:        Colin Legendre <sudz@ns3g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smbfs.ko broken in 4.4

Colin Legendre wrote:

> I am running 4.4 stable and getting this error when trying to load smbfs.ko
> kldload: can't load smbfs.ko: Exec format error
> any ideas?

Yes (I recently bumped into something similar). You probably have
something unresolved in your module (that is, you need some other module
before this one). Check your syslog for stuff like:
    /kernel: link_elf: symbol blahblah undefined
Then find that module (I used grep in /modules, there is probably
some better way) and kldload it first.

Succes !

  Hans Lambermont
--