Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:02:16 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Rob Winters <rob@annapurna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new IBM Thinkpads rejecting FreeBSD

> Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se> wrote:
> >That doesn't make sense. The only thing I changed to get the drive
> >working was to change the partition type of the freebsd partition from
> >165 to 131. Today I will try to use partition magic to create the
> >partitions.
>
> I just killed a ThinkPad A20p by installing 4.1-RELEASE. Apparently IBM allows
> for boot sector programs of a certain size, i.e. "LILO-sized". After that, the
> BIOS stores power management information ON THE BOOT SECTOR. If the BIOS finds
> unpalatable information in that location (presumably whatever FreeBSD puts
> there),
> then it gets very confused:

This has been discussed by several people in the terminal room here at
BSDcon, and the consensus there was that the issue is actually that the
TP BIOS doesn't like the 'active' flag being set on any partition.  The
reporter further claimed that they'd "worked" around it by powering up
and then inserting the drive at a later stage.