Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:49:23 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unknown mailer error 126 : sendmail issue?

On 29 Jan 2002 at 15:30, Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:

> dan> If I were to not go the .mc route, what does the above statement
> dan> translate to in a .cf file?
>
> Of course, that's not supported but if it were, I would tell you to change
> this line in your sendmail.cf:
>
> #O DefaultUser=mailnull
>
> to:
>
> O DefaultUser=daemon
>
> Keep in mind however, you will increase your system security if you stick
> with using mailnull and adapt your other applications instead of reverting
> sendmail back to using the daemon account.

Agreed and acknowledged.  This is a short term fix for getting the system
running again.  I'll play with getting mailnull running on the weekend.

FWIW: I had to make a few other permissions changes on my various
majordomo .cf files, directories and archives (there are several virtual
domains running here).  It's getting to be quite the lovely little warren.
 Something to be proud of....

This mail server is a few years old now.  It may be time to bite the
bullet and retire it rather than crawl through the swamp I fear is hidden
beneath.

Thank you.
--
Dan Langille