Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:28:00 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is probably a little touchy to ask...

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 03:17:49 -0500, Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com> wrote:
> So to configure your router, you need a java enabled browser, and odds
> are you get the jar file from the router, so it has an http server, and
> probably another server just to process configuration requests?  Now
> your router has two servers running, one to get the jar, one to deal
> with config, instead of one http server with one cgi script.

Yes, such complicated devices exist. Accessing it with Java
switched off, you can't do anything. Very overcomplicated,
and slow.

> Java has/had its uses, but I don't recall the last time I ran something
> using java.

As it has been mentioned, Java is often required in online
banking, but as far as I've noticed, it's also less and less
important in those fields. I'm not using online banking
myself so my opinion is very little substanciated.

> At the moment when it comes to the browser, flash is more
> important and that's only for all the websites that want to stream
> instead of give you a file like they used to.

Not only that. Whole suites of development tools are arranged
around "Flash" in order to replace dealing with HTML at all.
Navigational elements, as well as non-AV content is enclosed
in "Flash" to limit accessibility (which of course makes the
web less barrier-free, but who cares except cripples - they
don't count, majority wins). Also "content protection" is a
field where "Flash" is heavily used, like "No, you can't
select this text and copy it somewhere else!" What animated
GIFs were in the past, that's "Flash" today, but much more
ressource-intensive, proprietary, dangerous, and annoying.

> I remember years and years ago starting to learn java.

It was hard for me to "learn" Java at university when I had
already years of C experience. :-)

> I got really
> frustrated by spending a few hours going through documentation to find
> the "proper" way to read a text file.

I didn't know there was one. :-)

> Writing the gui seemed easy, the
> rest wasn't.

That's the basic idea: Make it "look good" on the outside, so
it appeals to users using the "first sight effect". Don't care
for the internals, nobody can see them anyway. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany