Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:51:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   boot from sd1

When I try to boot from sd(1,a), one of three things will happen,
depending upon circumstances which I do not entirely understand.

1) Boot to sd(0,a)
The kernel will claim to have successfully changed the root device
to sd(1,a), erroneously.  The mount table will claim that root is
sd(1,a), when in fact it contains the files of sd(0,a).

2) Failure to change root.
Panic.  Only a hard reset will recover.

3) BIOS infinite loop?
Error: C0; H0; S0
Error: C0; H0; S0
Error: C0; H0; S0
Error: C0; H0; S0

I am using an HDA Taiwanese Triton P100 MB with a 1542CF.
Primary IDE master is a Seagate 1GB PIO4.
SCSI 0, 1 are each dissimilar 1GB SCSI-2 hard drives.
There are other SCSI devices.

I understand that there is a limitation in the bios prohibiting boot
from more than two devices.  If I remove the IDE drive, will that
provide me with the ability to boot on sd1?

Will some other tool, such as OS-BS, permit me to do so?

I would be especially appreciative of a technical description
of the failure modes, or a pointer to code or documentation
which would be particularly illuminating.

//alk