Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 17:52:23 -0400
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ndis(4) patch to replace obsolete if_watchdog interface

--=-AEcBGubK0Qzz5e0QQ9Y+

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:46 -0700, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:41:32PM -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > I just replaced the obsoleted if_watchdog interface in ndis(4) with a
> > local implementation. This should remove the obnoxious warning message
> > on device init. Anyone using -CURRENT with an ndis card, could you send
> > me success/fails?
> >=20
> > The patch is here:
> >   * http://people.freebsd.org/~cokane/patches/if_ndis-new_wd.patch
>=20
>=20
> This works different to the rest of the network drivers. The existing
> drivers use a callout tick that runs while the driver is up and an
> integer counter.
>=20
>  if (x && --x =3D=3D 0)
> 	 ...timeout...
>=20
> You arm the callout and stop it after each Tx, does this have any
> perfornace impact?
>=20
>=20
> Andrew

You are probably right, I'll look into what I can do to re-work it
here... I just ran through to perform a naive if_watchdog-->callout_*
conversion on this really quickly.

Using it, I don't see much of a performance impact. However, I am not
using this on a server and CPUFREQ >> NETFREQ for me.

--=20
Coleman Kane

--=-AEcBGubK0Qzz5e0QQ9Y+

--=-AEcBGubK0Qzz5e0QQ9Y+--